Thursday, March 29, 2007

I'm Out of Order? This Whole Court Is out of Order!

Having skipped #15 for awhile (it's a big topic), I looked at the library wikis in #16. They are interesting ideas all -- I remember suggesting using blog technology for subject guides in what, 2004?

St. Joseph's went wiki instead. I'm curious how often it's used -- is it rarely used, like most library link collections, or does the wiki format make it more accessible, and more used? Ditto for Princeton's Book Lover's Wiki.

The Library Success Wiki is great -- although a collection of links remains a collection of links, whether it's in wiki or web page format. I also wonder when the library profession stopped using peer-reviewed research as it's sources for how to plan and deliver services, and chose instead to rely on blog postings referring to blog postings. It might work; maybe the speed of change overwhelmes traditional academic practices; but I doubt we'll see doctors and lawyers and engineers jump on the bandwagon in quite the same way.

Bull Run's Wiki is great too, but isn't it really a blog, using wiki structure and software? It's nature reifies something that has bothering me throughout the 23 things -- the technolgy, the formats, the tools, are not necessarily relevant -- it's the Data, Information, Knowledge (including Entertainment), and Wisdom transmitted in the communication that actually matters. I want a blog, I want a wiki, I want a podcast -- not. I want to know, to learn, to enjoy, to grow. The tools that help me do that? Good.

2 comments:

Tony Carmack said...

As Grandpa Simpson wisely discovered, a fax machine was nothing but a waffle iron with a phone attached. There's just not much new under the sun. 'The Atlantic' has an article appropriate to the discussion in the April issue: "The Web 2.0 Bubble." My favorite line--"Like 'push,' 'social media' is a functional advance pimped out as a revolution." The revolution will not only be televised, but it will sport some shiny grillz.

Tony Carmack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.